As you’re probably aware, the internet can be a wild place. When you interact with other people online, it’s hard to know exactly who’s on the other side of the screen. Identity verification is one way to create some trust and transparency.
When you go through an identity verification process, you’ll enter some details that are then compared to public records. If they match, it’s a good sign that you are who you say you are. You’ve probably used identity verification before to open a bank account or renew your driver's license. This article explains how identity verification works on Silvernest.
In this article:
Why verify your identity
Identity (ID) verification is one of the tools Silvernest provides to help you learn more about potential housemates and jumpstart open, transparent conversations. Users who go through the ID verification process earn an Identity verified profile badge, which can help communicate trustworthiness and commitment to homesharing.
Keep in mind that ID verification is only one of several ways Silvernest equips you to make the best decision for you about your living situation. Other tools include:
ID verification process overview
Silvernest uses the trusted third-party platform Cognito to conduct identity verification online. Since its founding in 2014, Cognito has verified 76 million identities. Learn more about how Cognito handles and protects your information here.
Here’s how the Silvernest ID verification process works:
- Log in to your Silvernest account.
- Click your profile photo icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and select Account from the dropdown menu that appears.
- On your Account page, click Verify your identity to begin the ID verification process:
- Enter your name, location and mobile number:
- The phone number you provide will receive a text message with a five-digit code in it.
- Enter the five-digit code from the text message into the verification field:
- Enter your address and date of birth on the next screen.
- Finally, you’ll be asked to upload a photo of a government-issued ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.).
- Cognito will cross-check public records for the combination of information you entered to verify that you are who you say you are.
- Once the process is complete, the Verification status on your account page will change to Identity verified and you’ll earn an Identity verified profile badge:
To learn about other ways to protect yourself online, see Avoiding Scams and Keeping Your Information Secure.
🧠 Related articles