2 min read
All About Identity Verification for Homeseekers
Emily Reynolds Nov 10, 2022 4:34:56 PM
When you interact with other people online, it’s hard to know exactly who’s on the other side of the screen—and rental websites are a favorite target of scammers. At Silvernest, one of the ways we protect renters is by requiring all hosts to verify their identity before they can post space for rent on our site—kind of like a Neighborhood Watch for the Silvernest community. This article explains what identity verification is, how host identity verification protects you and how verifying your identity can improve your Silvernest experience.
In this article:
What is identity verification?
In an identity verification process, you enter details that are then compared to public records. If they match, it’s a good sign that you are who you say you are. You’ve probably used identity verification before to open a bank account or renew your driver's license.
How host identity verification protects you
One of the most common ways scammers attempt to defraud people on any rental/listing website is to post fake listings and convince would-be renters to send money for deposits or rent payments. These scammers often use photos, addresses and descriptions from real listings to make their fake listings look as convincing as possible.
On Silvernest, all hosts are required to verify their identity by entering their name, address and other details, which are then compared to public records. If the combination of information they entered doesn't match public record, the host won't be able to publish their listing. The result? You can rest assured that all Silvernest listings are published by real people who are really associated with the space they have for rent.
Verifying your identity
If you're a renter, you don't have to verify your identity on Silvernest—but doing so can improve your experience. When you verify your identity, you earn an Identity verified badge on your profile that can show hosts you're taking your home search seriously. This badge is an important signal to hosts that you are who you say you are.
Here's how to earn your Identity verified profile badge:
- Log in to your Silvernest account.
- Click your profile photo icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and select Account from the dropdown menu that appears.
- On your Account page, click Verify your identity to begin the ID verification process:
- Silvernest uses the trusted third-party platform Cognito to process identity verification online. After you select Verify your identity, you'll be seamlessly connected to Cognito to enter your name, location and mobile number:
- The phone number you provide will receive a text message with a five-digit code in it.
- Enter the five-digit code from the text message into the verification field:
- Enter your address and date of birth on the next screen.
- Finally, you’ll be asked to take and upload a photo of a government-issued ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.).
- Cognito will securely cross-check the combination of information you entered against public records to verify that you are who you say you are. You can learn more about how Cognito handles and protects your information here.
- Once the process is complete, the Identity verified badge will appear on your profile:
To learn about other ways to protect yourself online, see Avoiding Scams and Keeping Your Information Secure.
🧠 Related articles
Vetting and Screening Housemates | Safety Tips for Choosing a Home
Avoiding Scams and Keeping Your Information Secure | All About Background Checks